It’s easy to think that once you’ve hired a bookkeeper, you’re all set–your small business is protected from recordkeeping headaches. But sometimes, a small business bookkeeper isn’t a good fit for a company no matter how personable they may be. And then it’s time to find a new small business bookkeeper in Colorado. Here’s what to look out for.
- There’s no consistency among entries as far as how they’re coded. Your chart of accounts is an essential budgeting tool that allows you to see at a glance where your money is coming from and where it’s going.
- Bank reconciliations aren’t being done monthly. The longer a period of time between reconciliations, the more likely it is that any error becomes compounded and also becomes harder to find.
- Your online bookkeeping system has unusual records. You probably have some familiarity with basic bookkeeping if you did your own books prior to hiring a bookkeeper. If you’re seeing entries that don’t look right to you, it can indicate that your bookkeeper isn’t familiar with your bookkeeping software.
- Your bookkeeper prevents you from accessing your own records. You should have full access to all of your information any time you want it. If there’s a password for access to the bookkeeping software, you should have it.
- There are a lot of reconciliation adjustments. These are not meant to be a regular tool to force a reconciliation.
- Your bookkeeper isn’t responsive. When your bookkeeper isn’t good at communicating with you, how can you feel confident that they’ll let you know when there’s a problem?
- Your bookkeeper doesn’t have a firm grasp of typical documents like balance sheets and how they’re calculated.
Contact AMR Bookkeeping Today!
Having a small business bookkeeper in Colorado that you can trust is vitally important for your company. It allows you to concentrate on your business. But if you have concerns about the job your current bookkeeper is doing, you may want to consider a replacement in La Veta, CO. A virtual bookkeeper in Colorado can provide you with professional service that frees up your time and attention so that, as a business owner, you can do what you do best.